Sunday 31 May 2009

New matra....do not forget suncream!

Today was spent with the lovely Lauren and her sister Sarah. Sarah is 7 months pregnant so I was extremely cautious about where we were, what we were doing etc.Some days the course can be exhausting enough, there is something about being out in the wilds all day that really takes it out of you. Most days I am office bound and it is a pleasure to 'get out there' with the camera but I was concerned for Sarah from lunch time onwards.
Lauren managed to capture one of the Downs most elusive and shy butterflies that sometimes stop on the buttercups for anano second. Full frame, crystal pin point clear. Simply amazing, a fantastic shot.
It was around 26 degrees celcius and,once off the Downs, the heat really built on the seafront so we didn't get nearly as far as we woud normally, not that this was a problem. Both Sarah and Laura seemed to take away not only some great images but a newfound confidence in using the cameras settings. I cannot express in words sometimes how trick it is to convey, teaching is a skill I am still honing! Lauren and Sarah both took to it though like ducks to water and I am confident that with time and dedication, both will develop real skills in their photography and become very proficient and adept in producing the images seen in the minds eye. It was a pleasure to spend the day with both; charming, intelligent, and above all a keen eagerness to learn.
By the end of the day I really felt for Sarah, it was a tall order to ask of her this late in her pregnancy to come out on the course, and I was really impressed with her determination.I have suggested that later in the year both Sarah and Lauren come and join me again for an afternoon on the seafront so that we can complete what we would ordinarily;it really was not only the hottest day of the year so far but far too tall an order to expect Sarah to wak all the way to the west Pier wreckage from the King Alfred area!
Tonight as usual after delivering a course I am exhausted and having eaten have barely left the sofa since 5pm this evening! Factor in the sunburn and dehydration and it is safe to say I will be keeping out of the sun tomorrow. This is the first time I have run courses back to back, one day after another, and it is both mentally and physically demanding in a way I hadn't expected. Positively challenging. Sarah also asked if there was a follow on course and I conceded that I need to give some thought to this area as I think there is scope for perhaps producing a follow up course for those that want it; I imagine some that attend the course would find it very useful to come back and cover new questions and challenges; my initial thoughts are a follow up day or two each year for all that have attended a course, perhaps a half day classroom session with a return to the 'field' as it were in the afternoons. I need to get some feedback from people on this to see if it is viable, and I need to face down worries I would have myself about tackling questions in the Digital field that I am still learning about myself; that's not just a confidence matter I need to address, it is fundamental to what I am doing. I am a photographer however, and I know my photography regardless of the digital revolution, the actual implementation of producing a high quality photograph is my domain.
Part of me needs to acept that some students will have a greater digital knowledge than I do; having developed my own skills in the non-digital era, and being more open to the digital revolution now than I have ever been, the fundamental elements of photography remain the same. I still talk about allowing enough light through the cameras setting, using apertures and shutter speed settings to allow light onto the FILM. There is of course nothing wrong with that; the fundamentals have not changed. And the fact a higher F stop equates to a smaller aperture does not sit naturally the the brains wires remains a challenge after all these years. It is really difficult to convey to students; some just get it and others like me find it confusing. I guess some simply have brains wired to comprehend the conundrum and others like me will struggle, it is one of photography's many quirks. Master it though, and there is a dramatic improvement in the images taken. Stepping up anddown the f stops used to be simple; you would just turn the ring on the lens to the desireed f stop f-11 down to f-8 although you are actually stepping up the scale, opening the aperture wider and allowing more light into the desired image by using a smaller number on the f-scale. These days it seems the cameras are so technical that to make the most perfunctory change in camera function, especially when the camera itself is one I am not familiar with, there is almost a need to reach for the cameras manual. I wonder if manufacturers such as Nikon and Canon realise that a simple base function in photography has become unnecessarily complicated.
A camera body can only hold so many function buttons and faced with such n array of mind boggling functions when only the simplest of changes in f-stops is required, is an irony most certainly not lost on me! The digital revolution, as it likes to term itself, still has a very long way to go before it can deliver simple, high calibre functionality in good build quality using a reliable camera body for the function it is designed for. Going backwards, as far as I understand, it is not a revolution. Not to put too thick a crust on this revolution argument, there is significant risk to manufacturers that the advantages in digital, and there are clearly very significant advantages in being able to see an image moments after you have clikced the shutter release, are being overwhelmed with the lack of simple functionality that is actually required. I cannot help feeling that manufacturers are losing sight of what is actually required for the sake of chasing a market expectation for all dancing and singing cameras. It doesn't sit comfortably with manufacturers, but the fact remains what is important is th person behind the camera, not the camera itself. So long as a camera functions and has a reasonable lens quality, whizz bang features and digital science are largely redundant, so try not to be seduced by the sexiest advertising and marketing ever. It is not easy, but you the student, your imagination, your choice to convey and express your vision in photography does not need a whiz bang camera. Without you the camera is useless. We are at risk of venturing into tail wagging dog territory, partly because manufacturrs have convinced Joe public that all that is required to be the next big thing in photography is one of their latest cameras. It isn't true,dont believe the hype.The person behind the camera and the thought processes, imagination, means to express and creative ability cannot be manufactured.
The kind of advertsing and marketing I do recommend you be seduced by is the sun cream industry. I always advise students to charge batteries and pack a pac-a-mac in case of inclement weather either on the south Downs or the sussex seafront; today I wish I had taken some suncream.
Yours, burning into the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment