Tuesday 30 June 2009

Steven Wells is dead.

I have just learned Steve Wells is dead. Wells, or Swells as he was known, was best known for his writings in the NME, if memory serves me well he was Editor for a while.
Before Swells joined the NME he worked as a 'ranting poet' supporting Paul Weller and the Jam on tour with Attilla the Stockbroker. Attilla, John as I know him, used to put together Punker Bunker here in Brighton with the likes of TV Smith and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, and on one occassion I was fortunate enough to photograph them all. Not sure that Swells was there that night at Concorde, but I used to read Swells avidly, for his barbed, intelligent remarks and pot shots aimed at a complacent England.
I cannot believe he has gone. RIP Swells.

Read Johns/Atillas remarkably moving tribute to Swells here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Attila-the-Stockbroker/20550602416?ref=s#/note.php?note_id=104993261569&ref=mf

Swells was followed by Barbara Ellen who, despite being a decent broadsheet writer now, couldn't follow Swells. No-one could. Swells was Swells. After Swells left NME as Editor I never enjoyed it as much and soon stopped reading it atogether. He passed away a couple of days before Glastonbury. Shit man he would have loved The Specials on Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment